Lidoderm? Any good?
Generic Name: Lidocaine Patch (LIE-doe-cane)
Brand Name: Lidoderm
Lidoderm Patch is used for:
Relieving pain associated with herpes zoster (shingles).
Lidoderm Patch is a local anesthetic. It works by stopping nerves from transmitting painful impulses to the brain.
Do NOT use Lidoderm Patch if:
* you are allergic to any ingredient in Lidoderm Patch or other similar medicines (eg, amide-type medicines)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Lidoderm Patch. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
* if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
* if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
* if you have broken, damaged, or inflamed skin at the application site
* if you have heart, liver, or kidney problems
* if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine (eg, benzocaine)
* if you have very poor health
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lidoderm Patch. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
* Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) or cimetidine because they may increase the risk of Lidoderm Patch's side effects
* Antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine, tocainide), local anesthetics (eg, benzocaine), or succinylcholine because risk of their side effects may be increased by this medicine
How to use Lidoderm Patch:
Use Lidoderm Patch as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
* Lidoderm Patch is only to be used on intact, clean, dry skin. Do not apply Lidoderm Patch to broken, damaged, or inflamed skin.
* Wash your hands before and after using Lidoderm Patch.
* Remove the liner on the patch. Apply the patch so that it covers the painful area. If the painful area is larger than the patch, apply the patch over the most painful area. Patches may also be cut into smaller sizes before removing the liner if desired.
* If irritation or burning occurs when you apply the patch, remove it. Do not reapply any patches until the irritation stops.
* Patches may be worn for up to 12 hours within a 24 hour period as directed by your doctor. Clothing may be worn over the area where the patch is applied.
* After removing a patch, fold it in half with the sticky sides together. Discard the patch out of reach of children and away from pets. Do not apply another patch to the same area of skin for 12 hours.
* If you miss a dose of Lidoderm Patch, use the dose when you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor. Do not use Lidoderm Patch for more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period. Do not use 2 doses sooner than 12 hours apart.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lidoderm Patch.
Important safety information:
* Lidocaine Patch is for external use only. Avoid contact with your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you get Lidocaine Patch your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
* Lidocaine Patch may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Lidocaine Patch with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
* Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Lidocaine Patch before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
* Lidocaine Patch will cause a numbing effect at the application site. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperature until the numbness is gone.
* Do not use more medicine, apply more often, or use for longer than prescribed. Your condition will not improve faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased.
* Lidocaine Patch may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
* Use Lidocaine Patch with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
* Lidocaine Patch should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed. CHILDREN may be more sensitive to the effects of Lidocaine Patch.
* PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lidocaine Patch while you are pregnant. Lidocaine Patch is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lidocaine Patch, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
The medicine and health information post by website user , ByeDR.com not guarantee correctness , is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
More Questions and Answers...