Acetone and rubbing alcohol skin digestion?
The Material Safety Data Sheets for both say approximately indistinguishable thing almost skin contact: try to avoid it. However, the dangers appear to be limited to dry, irritated skin, and if the exposure is prolonged, dermatitis.
For acetone: "Skin Contact:
Irritating due to defatting management on skin. Causes redness, dull pain, drying and cracking of the skin."
For rubbing (isopropyl alcohol): "Health Hazards Acute And Chronic: IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, LUNGS, MUCOUS
MEMBRANES AND GI TRACT. PROLONGED EXPOSURE MAY CAUSE DERMATITIS."
Compare that with, vote, acrylic acid, a chemical I use regularly (in the lab and not at home): "Skin Contact:
Toxic! Corrosive! May end in irritation, inflammation, burns, and skin rashes. Absorption through the skin may create systemic poisoning, nausea, and vomiting. "
If you don't breathe in seriously of fumes, and you wash up beside soap & water afterwards, I seriously doubt here is much danger unless the character performing the cleaning is literally dousing the child with bottles of cleaning agent.
Rubbing alcohol should be fine (try to hold on to the fumes down though)... You don't need to get hold of the kid drenched just showery a rag beside it and rub it off.Acetone is a bit of a stretch to me though. I wouldn't put that stuff on my kid.
The medicine and health information post by website user , ByeDR.com not guarantee correctness , is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
More Questions and Answers...